saslauthd with openldap

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Apr 19 05:58:12 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to get saslauthd working to authenticate on openLDAP with
passwords stored with a MD5 hash (base64 encoded) in the field
UserPassword. The passwords are created with smb-ldap so I think it's
normal that they are base64 encoded.

"testsaslauthd -u mailtest -p secret" gives always "authentication
failed".  In auth.log I see always: "Bind failed".

I've tried many options in saslauthd.conf, at the moment it's this:
--------
ldap_servers: ldap://192.168.28.240/
ldap_auth_method: custom
ldap_bind_dn: uid=admin,dc=domain,dc=local
ldap_bind_pw: secret
ldap_search_base: ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=local
ldap_filter: cn=%u
--------

I am using cyrus-sasl2 version 2.1.25.dfsg1-6 from Debian Wheezy.
LDAP is on an old machine (Ubuntu 8.04, slapd version 2.4.7).

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl