MD5 Passwords in MySql?

Charles Bradshaw brad at bradcan.homelinux.com
Fri Apr 12 09:08:40 EDT 2013

Further to our previous discussion on the possibility of storing hashed
passwords in the imap authentication database.

I draw your attention to: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2195.txt, which
abstract clearly states;

"This specification provides a simple challenge-response authentication
protocol that is suitable for use with IMAP4. Since it utilizes
Keyed-MD5 digests and does not require that the secret be stored in the
clear on the server".

While I don't fully understand the cryptography details of the proposal
it is clear that the requirement to avoid storing clear text passwords
while retaining the security advantages of challenge-response is
possible.

Is there the possibility to implement this?

Charles Bradshaw