Another 2.4 upgrade horror story

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 26 03:24:03 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've got questions regarding the procedure you describe. I'm trying to wrap
my head around the various possible approaches to replication and
clustering.

--On 25. September 2012 21:57:49 +0300 Deniss <cyrus at sad.lv> wrote:

> migration process from 2.3 to 2.4 took ~ one year for our installation.
> we converted ~200Tb of users data.
> first step we did - spread data on many nodes using cyrus replication.

The official documentation for replication seems to be this one:

<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.0/install-replication.php>

The way I read that, replication is all or nothing. So did each of the
nodes have the whole 200 TB? If not, how did you achieve that? Did you have
a murder with multiple backends to begin with?

> next we started converting nodes one by one at weekends nights to
> minimize IO load generated by users.

How does replication work across Cyrus versions? I assume it wouldn't have
been possible to create a new 2.4 replica from an existing 2.3 master?

Thanks, Sebastian
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-W (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.