Another 2.4 upgrade horror story

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Tue Sep 25 19:25:13 EDT 2012

On 2012-09-25 19:05, Simon Beale wrote:
> The only gotcha I experienced was I forgot that cyrus was configured to
> hardlink mail, which of course was no longer the case after each mailbox
> was migrated, so my disk usage exploded. (But easily fixed/restored once
> identified).

What did you use for restoring the hardlinks? freedup as well?

I'm asking because I found a bug in freedup causing dataloss. I already
sent a patch fixing it to the author of freedup last november, but he
didn't release a new version yet.

In case cyr_expire is running while freedup tries to hardlink files it is
possible to loose both the source freedup wants to link to and the copy
freedup still removes on error. Running cyr_expire and freedup (up to
1.6-2) together is a really bad idea.

If it's of interest I can provide my patch here, too.

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria