Another 2.4 upgrade horror story

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 25 09:34:23 EDT 2012

Hi!

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 03:25:45PM +0200, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
> Sebastian Hagedorn wrote, on 25.09.2012 14:01:
> > I realize that some of our problems were caused by infrastructure that's
> > not up to current standards, but nonetheless I would really urge you to
> > never again use an upgrade mechanism like that. Give admins a chance to
> > upgrade indexes in the background and over time.
>
> There is such an upgrade path using a murder environment and moving mailboxes
> between backends. We used that for our 150k user infrastructure and had no IO
> headaches at all. It was a good moment to update distribution, filesystems,
> hardware, .... as well.

Could you elaborate on that? I considered that option, but seeing as moving
even a couple dozen users from a backend to another using RENAME takes hours
and one backend contains thousands of users, I decided to just live with the ~1
day of unbearable slowness. Or do you know of a fast way?

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B