CAPABILITY response in banner, how to disable it?

Michael Neumann Michael.Neumann at ub.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Oct 31 09:12:36 EDT 2012

Hello,

we recently switched from imapd version 2.2.12 to 2.4.12. Now my
cellphone with bada-os 2.0 wont use the idle feature anymore. I assume
the problem lies in the change that happened in version 2.3.4, the
changelog states:
"Implemented CAPABILITY response in banner and after authentication."

The old version responded something like this:
> TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
> S: * OK Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-13ubuntu3 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Please enter your password:

The new version responds like this:
> TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
> S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN SASL-IR] mail Cyrus IMAP v2.4.12-Debian-2.4.12-2 server ready
> Please enter your password:
> C: A01 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN string
> S: A01 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE LIST-EXTENDED WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST URLAUTH URLAUTH=BINARY LOGINDISABLED IDLE] Success (tls protection)

So it seems since the change in version 2.3.4 the imapd announces some
CAPABILITYs already in the greeting/banner, but only a subset of the
CAPABILITYs missing "idle" for example. The full CAPABILITYs string is
presented after login. Now i guess that is the reason that i cant select
the idle feature (push-sync) on my bada 2 device anymore. There is the
option "serverinfo" in imapd.conf, but using this option has no
influence on the CAPABILITYs string in the greeting. Is there a way to
return to the old behaviour, or is there a good reason not to return to
the old behaviour?

Best regards
Michael
--