Removing orphaned mailboxes from MUPDATE server

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 26 04:31:07 EDT 2012

I ran ctl_mboxlist -maw on one of my back end IMAP servers this morning
and saw this output:

Remove from MUPDATE: user.xxxxxx.root.incron
Remove from MUPDATE: user.xxxxxx.Trash.HCWG.Minutes
Remove from MUPDATE: user.xxxxxx.freshers-week.fwem.FW09.Rep emails

They do not show up if I search for them in cyradm but I found them
lurking on the MUPDATE server:

$ ctl_mboxlist -d | grep "	3 "
user.xxxxxx.Trash.HCWG.Minutes	3 imap-backend.bath.ac.uk!00
user.xxxxxx.root.incron	3 imap-backend.bath.ac.uk!04
user.xxxxxx.freshers-week.fwem.FW09.Rep emails	3 imap-backend.bath.ac.uk!04

Running ctl_mboxlist -ma on the back end doesn't clear these up. How did
these mailbox entries get into state and what is the safest
downtime-free way to remove them from the MUPDATE server? ctl_mboxlist
doesn't have an advertised way of doing this.

The front end is 2.4.16 and the back end is 2.3.13.

Many thanks,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK