lmtp over tcp configuation

Clement Hermann (nodens) nodens2099 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 19:47:29 EDT 2012

Le 12/10/2012 20:52, Marcus Schopen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm planing to split cyrus 2.2.13 from my incoming mail server running
> sendmail 8.14.3. Basically I set up an openvpn tunnel between the boxes
> and changed the CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS from FILE to TCP in the cyrusv2.m4
> macro on sendmail side and activated lmtp in the cyrus.conf on the other
> side. First tests are running fine. Did I forget something? Any tuning
> hints?

Seems fine to me, but you may want to allow more than 20 childrens for
LMTP process. If you receive a lot of mails at once, your load will
increase on the sendmail server because you don't have enough lmtp
processes. Actually I use lmtpproxy since I have a murder setup, but
with prefork=20 maxchild=0.

Sendmail will reject connections anyway if the load or connection rate
is too high.

The openvpn seems overkill to me, as mail will often travel in clear anyway.

Also, your smtp server won't know if the mailbox is really available, so
you may have useless bounces (over quota...). You may want to check
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus3.html.

Cheers,

--
Clement Hermann (nodens)
- "L'air pur ? c'est pas en RL, ça ? c'est pas hors charte ?"

Vous trouverez ma clef publique sur le serveur public pgp.mit.edu.
Please find my public key on the public keyserver pgp.mit.edu.