auto create / subscribe folder patches

Wed Oct 3 17:50:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 07:22 AM, Simon Walter wrote:
>> On 10/03/2012 01:32 PM, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>> > If I remember right, the autocreate patches don't work in a Cyrus
>> > Murder (cluster).  Until the autocreate patches work with all the
>> > supported ways of running Cyrus IMAP, I don't think they will be
>> > included.
>> >
>> > I can understand your issue though.  The bigger Cyrus sites already
>> > use scripts to create new mailboxes when new users are created.  The
>> > really small sites probably don't mind creating mailboxes by hand.
>> > The sites with more than 10 but fewer than 100 users probably are not
>> > satisfied by either solution.
>> >

>> Understood. Hopefully something like that will be implemented that works
>> with Murder. Perhaps the same code that cyradm uses to create mailboxes?
>>
>> We do have quite a few users. I'm pretty sure anyone managing users via
>> LDAP would prefer to have mailboxes automatically created. I may look
>> into an OpenLDAP overlay. Failing that, Dovecot.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for explaining this.
>
> They're in the git repository now, and will be in Cyrus 2.5 when it's
> ready for release.  They still don't work with murder, but I'm looking
> into that.  Of course, it would need some form of "autocreatebackend"
> option with murder...

I noticed that everytime auto- patches have been brought into issue,
murder was argued as a sensible impacted part. i'm curious how many
admins out of total setups are actually using it. I myself just abuse
cyrus as a single server for a soho office, so murder it's always
ignored. I understand it's powerful and there are other setups with
massive number of servers and users, but I'm just curious if maybe at
some point would be better to give those with a couple of mailboxes a
murder-free cyrus fork where you can easily patch things ("global
sieve rules" dead thread?) without worrying about breaking murder?