Modifying Cyrus IMAP to ease a migration to Gmail?

Brian Chase brian.chase at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:35:04 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Dan White <dwhite at olp.net> wrote:

> On 10/03/12 10:51 -0400, Brian Chase wrote:
>>

>> Anyway, so the consulting company we're working with to help us with the
>> migration is using Google's GAMME tool.  It's a mail migration tool that
>> works with Exchange and IMAP servers to pull the data out of the old mail
>> servers and into Google's servers.  It's a pretty limited program, and
>> unfortunately, for it's IMAP support is more limited than we'd like.  The
>> GAMME tool takes simple lists of users, in a formatted text file, and uses
>> that information to login as each user on the IMAP server and then copy
>> all
>> their mail onto the Google server.  The problem with that is it needs the
>> plain-text passwords for all the existing users to be able to log into the
>> IMAP server.
>>

> Page 25 of the Administrator's Guide points to a solution using an
> administrative password, rather than specifying the user's password, such
> as:
>
> adminuser#adminpassword, cyrususer1
>
> This may work if you specify a proxyservers user on your frontend
> (adminuser).

Well, crap.  I just checked the current version of the GAMME tool and admin
guide and it appears they've added the functionality.  The date on the new
guide is Sept 28, 2012.  It's been about a week and half since I last had
my eyes on this project.  The previous version of the tool didn't support
that, or at least it wasn't documented in their administrative guide and
our Google Partner consultants didn't know about it.  *That* should make
this all a whole lot easier.  I was thinking it was pretty stupid that
their tool didn't support an administrative login for Cyrus.

How are you planning to transfer the passwords to gmail?

> Consider enabling 'auto_transition: true' within /etc/imapd.conf, on each
> of your frontends, which would store the cleartext password of each user
> the next time the login, into /etc/sasldb2.

We weren't planning on migrating the passwords... but that might actually
be helpful for the first time syncing of passwords with mobile devices.
 For mail/google apps we'll be using the SSO/SAML option to allow logins
against our existing authentication servers.

In any case.  Thanks for the quick and helpful responses to you (and Adam).
 These should all get us moving in the right direction on the project.

Brian.