Cyrus IMAP 2.3 EOL?

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Wed Nov 21 14:12:44 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 01:51:28PM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 18:21 +0100, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 05:31 PM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre wrote:
> > > Good morning,
> > > Does Cyrus IMAP 2.3.18 get still supported by Cyrus IMAP team?.
> > Just security updates really, why?
>
> Cyrus IMAP 2.4.x is much nicer all around;  if you are on 2.3.x I'd
> recommend upgrading.  Other than some re-indexing pain, it is seemless
> and leaves you on a considerably better product.

Hi Adam,

I would love to be running 2.4.x. Unfortunately, because replication does
not work from old version 2.3.x to newer 2.4.x "some re-indexing pain"
is from everything I have read here a completely uncontrolled I/O storm
on your disk subsystem unless you have a prolonged service outage. I
really, really, really hope that 2.4.x will be able to replicate to
2.5.x. Then you can upgrade the relatively unloaded replica, fail-over
to the new version and then upgrade the replica for a virtually
seamless procedure. Now we are looking for idle usage periods together
with a folder tickle script to stagger the upgrade process I/O.

Regards,
Ken