Migrating seen database

Chris Conn cconn at abacom.com
Thu Nov 15 15:46:39 EST 2012

On 2012-11-15 15:34, Dan White wrote:
> On 11/15/12 11:59 +1100, Puthick Hok wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am migrating my cyrus imap from the current server with cyrus 2.3.7
>> to a new server with better hardware running cyrus 2.3.16.
>>
>> I've googled for the command to dump the seen database in
>> /var/lib/imap/user/... without success. I have played with some the
>> cyrus command on my inbox and it made all my emails unread.
>> Fortunately, only my inbox is affected. It's scary. I have copied the
>> binary files including the sub database. The subscription or subfolder
>> (sub database) seems to ok but the seen database is not very good.
>> Some of my sub folders get all emails unread which is wrong.
>>
>> My work around if I cannot find a way to copy the seen database would
>> be ask everyone to create a folder called Read and create a
>> Thunderbird rule to move all read emails to this folder prior to
>> migration. However, there should be a better way than this, except
>> that I don't know it.
>>
>> I hope someone can give me some advices to deal with this problem.
> You could use an imap synchronization program (like imapsync) to transfer
> your emails, which will transfer your seen state in a portable format
> (IMAP).

Hello,

My first instinct when I made an upgrade from an antique 2.2.x
installation to a 2.3.16 was to use imapsync; but that proved to be
cumbersome and also quite slow.  In practice, cyrus upgraded databases
perfectly from even such an old install, and I simply copied via rsync
the spools and databases and the seen files and had zero issues other
than a corrupted tls database that I simply deleted and moved on.

When you copy the databases and seen files to the new server, it doesn't
work correctly?         I am surprised by this.

Chris