Help with cyrus-imapd, cyrus-sasl, postfix and lmtp

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sun Nov 4 18:50:41 EST 2012

On 11/04/12 17:24 -0600, Dan White wrote:
>Cyrus can use saslauthd to authenticate both incoming lmtp and imap connections. By
>default both daemons should use the same authentication service, whether
>that's sasldb or saslauthd, or another source.
>
>Such a configuration might look like (on the Cyrus server):
>
>lmtp_admins: postfix_username
>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN # Needed if authenticating with saslauthd
>sasl_minimum_layer: 0
>allowplaintext: yes # Needed, unless you're using tls
>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
>Consult the Postfix documentation for how to specify the lmtp credentials.
>
>It's standard practice to enable smtp authentication on a postfix server,
>particularly if you have roaming users with email clients. As Andy pointed
>out, you may need to sync your authentication database between the two
>servers, unless your authentication database is network enabled, i.e. SQL
>or LDAP.
>
>Postfix can be configured to use cyrus sasl for smtp authentication (see
>saslfinger),

On your Postfix server, for smtp authentication, you could use saslauthd's
rimap backend, which would relay smtp authentication attempts to your imapd
server. That we free you up to use your preferred authentication database
on the cyrus server.

See the manpage for saslauthd for details.

--
Dan White