Making sub-folder email reappear after recovery from backup

Gordon Marler gmarler at gmarler.com
Fri Nov 2 13:31:09 EDT 2012

On 11/2/2012 12:09 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 11:16 -0400, Gordon Marler wrote:
>> Can't find this mentioned in the docs or with any search I've done on
>> the mailing list, so here goes:
>> - Upgraded from 2.4.10 to 2.4.16 after losing my 2.4.10 system, but
>> having mail spool backed up
>> - After moving to the 2.4.16 system, able to see Inbox for accounts
>> - Had to make sub-folders reappear with command like (Thank you mailing
>> list for that tidbit!):
>>     reconstruct -p default -rf user.gmarler.<Subfolder>
>> - Now I can see the Inbox, Subfolders, Sub-subfolders, etc in Thunderbird
>> BUT - Only Inbox has visible emails - All of the subfolders "appear" to
>> be empty, but there are definitely mails in them on the mail spool.
>> Looks like I forgot a step somewhere.  Where have I gone wrong?
> reconstruct, with the -r [recursive] and -f [examine filesystem for
> mailboxes] options.
Ah, more involved than that - the crash on 2.4.10 seems to have left the
spool in an odd state, like it was completely reorganizing the spool and
got interrupted:
- $SPOOL is located in /opt/csw/var/cyrus/mail/
- Original emails were left in $SPOOL/.u/g/user/gmarler/
- A partial copy (subfolders all empty) was here:
   $SPOOL/g/user/gmarler/ (I wasn't looking here)
- Another complete copy was here:
   $SPOOL/user/gmarler/ (This is what I was looking at, but Cyrus wasn't)

- Merged everything from $SPOOL/.u/g/user/gmarler/ and
$SPOOL/user/gmarler/ into $SPOOL/g/user/gmarler/
- Ran reconstruct -p default -rf user.gmarler
- Started cyrus and started getting these errors:
   DBERROR db4: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
- Killed off the master and cleaned up the DB4 *.db databases (except
for db/)
- Ran reconstruct -rf user.gmarler
- Restarted master

Now everything from 1995 shows up.  Thanks for that extra tip!

GM