unsubscribe

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon May 21 10:27:33 EDT 2012

On 21 May 2012, at 15:08, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> As long as most users don't have easy access to the List-Unsubscribe header (Outlook, Apple Mail, etc), then the List-Unsubscribe header can't satisfy the legal requirements of the UK, and most EU countries: that marketing (and this list markets Cyrus mail - at least in the meaning of the legislation) emails must carry an easy to use address for unsubscribing.
>
> Man - I'm in the EU, and I'm firmly of the opinion "feck off protolawyer".
>
> This is a technical discussion list for users of the software, and you
> signed up for it.  It's using THE standard mechanism for detailing how
> to unsubscribe.
>
> Short of reaching down through the screen and physically punching you in
> the face, I can't see how in particular we are supposed to account for the
> deficiencies of the client you choose to use.

Thanks for your considered contribution. It's nice to know we're in such good company on this list.

> Bron ( somewhat annoyed that there's no nice web management interface for the
>       list unless you're a CMU user, but still )

It's the law in the EU. There's an amazingly good reason for it. It's best if email professionals understand (a) the law, and (b) what is meant by "easy to use" with respect to email.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex