mailboxes.db vs IMAP client irregularities

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat May 19 16:28:18 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:56:44PM -0700, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> Wow, thanks! I didn't know about that command. It exposed them!
> Strange, they were in /var/spool/imap/u/DELETED/ (my mailbox root is
> /var/spool/imap). I'm not sure why they wouldn't be in
> /var/spool/imap/j/user/jmaxwell (jmaxwell is the user), but perhaps
> it's because I haven't defined deleted_prefix as you pointed out
> earlier. Maybe /var/spool/imap/u/DELETED is the default.

Hashing is on the second part of the name, rather uninteligently,
no matter what the name - hence it's hashing on:

DELETE.user.x
       ^

:)

> Looking at all of the files in there, several are older than the 3
> days they are supposed to be. I'm guessing that means there was a bug
> somewhere. I guess I should remove all of these, reconstruct the
> mailboxes.db to match and then probably upgrade as Bron suggested.

No - the files will have the delivery date as their age.  The interesting
bit is the final part of the folder name, which is actually a 32 bit
unix timestamp in hex format (yes, really).

cyr_expire will clean it up.  Don't mess with the filesystem under cyrus
if you don't have to.

Bron.