mailboxes.db vs IMAP client irregularities

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Sat May 19 13:58:22 EDT 2012

On 05/19/2012 01:51 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> I'm running 2.4.13 from the invoca rpms on CentOS 5.8. I recently had
> an issue with a folder in a mailbox that would not show any
> subfolders. I created a new folder 'folder2' and moved all of the
> subfolders to it and then performed a reconstruct on the new set of
> folders and everything worked. Now I deleted the old folder 'folder'
> from the file system and then (after it wouldn't go away from the
> cyradm listing) used cyr_dbtool to manually remove it (and the
> subfolders) from the mailboxes.db file. The old folders and subfolders
> are now gone, however, I can't (using the IMAP client) rename
> 'folder2' back to 'folder' as when I do, the subfolders are not
> visible.
>
> I've dumped the mailboxes.db file to a flat file to look and see if
> there is anything in there that wasn't visible in cyradm or using
> cyr_dbtool show. Everything is as expected except there are some
> DELETED.user.xxx.folder entries at the top. Are you not allowed the
> create folders with the same name you've just deleted? Where are these
> DELETED folders actually stored and how long does it take them to go
> away? (I'm not using delayed expunge.)

Sounds like you are using delayed delete. Mine show up in
/imap/mail/C/DELETED/  . How long they stay around depends on when you
run cyr_expire and what parameters you give it.

Man page entries:

deletedprefix: DELETED
             If  "delete_mode"  set  to  be  "delayed",  the  prefix for
the deleted mailboxes hierarchy.  The hierarchy delimiter will be
automatically appended.

delete_mode: immediate
             The manner in which mailboxes are deleted. "immediate" mode
is the default  behavior  in  which  mailboxes  are  removed
immediately.   In "delayed" mode, mailboxes are renamed to a special
hiearchy defined by the "deletedprefix" option to be removed later by
cyr_expire.

             Allowed values: immediate, delayed