Differences in imap quota reporting between v2.2.13 and v2.3.16

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue May 15 16:41:45 EDT 2012

OS CentOS-6.2
HW i86_64 KVM guest

We are migrating from cyrus-imapd-2.2.13 running on CentOS-4.9 to
v2.3.16 running on CentOS-6.2; being is the most recent version
distributed by the packager. To the best of my ability to determine I
have followed the upgrade instructions at
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-upgrade.php.

The data transfer and SELinux considerations completed successfully as
did the mailbox reconstruction and quota updates.  The new service is
running and I can administer user mailboxes. However, the quota usage
reported for user accounts under 2.3.16 differs dramatically from that
reported under 2.2.13.  It appears on the surface that the usage
reported is for each individual mailbox and not for the accumulated
usage under the user's INBOX.

For example, I have the situation under 2.3.16 where a user with 500mb
quota and 375mb usage is reported at the highest level as 3% usage
because there is very little mail in their INBOX but a great deal of
archived mail in subordinate folders.  On the 2.2.13 server this
identical user mailbox is reported as 75% utilization.

I see in the change logs that there were numerous changes to quotas.
But it seems odd to me that usage would no longer report cumulative
totals. Can somebody give me the short form explanation of how quota
is assigned to folders and usage is reported under 2.3.16?

Canada  L8E 3C3