After being moved, messages remain in both folders on the server

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Mar 30 06:26:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 12:12 -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> I just noticed, that, when I move a message from INBOX to a folder in
> Thunderbird (via IMAP), the file on the server sometimes remains in
> both directories:
>         /var/spool/imap/user/mi/message.
> and
>         /var/spool/imap/user/mi/folder/message.
> The copies are a hardlink, so little space is wasted, but I'm
> concerned about the toplevel (INBOX) directory having too many
> entries... I thought, this is related to the folder (not) being
> immediately "compacted", but even when I explicitly request a
> compacting (in Thunderbird), the strangeness remains. Right now out of
> the 35170 messages in my INBOX, 1219 are hardlinked to other
> folders...
>Is this normal? I'm using Cyrus imapd 2.4.11 on FreeBSD. Please,
>advise. Thanks!

If Delayed Expunge is enabled, then it is normal.  Delayed expunge makes
restore of lost messages easier, is a handy means of 'data retention',
and helps to avoid I/O-explosions.  If Delayed Expunge isn't enabled -
then this seems odd.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "too many entries" problem on a
modern filesystem / kernel.  At least so long as you aren't using
nss_ldap to provide your cyrus user & group [that can be crazy].