After being moved, messages remain in both folders on the server

Mikhail T. mi+cyrus at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Mar 29 12:12:06 EDT 2012

I just noticed, that, when I move a message from INBOX to a folder in
Thunderbird (via IMAP), the file on the server sometimes remains in both
directories:

    /var/spool/imap/user/mi//message/.

and

    /var/spool/imap/user/mi//folder///message/.

The copies are a hardlink, so little space is wasted, but I'm concerned about
the toplevel (INBOX) directory having too many entries... I thought, this is
related to the folder (not) being immediately "compacted", but even when I
explicitly request a compacting (in Thunderbird), the strangeness remains. Right
now out of the 35170 messages in my INBOX, 1219 are hardlinked to other folders...

Is this normal? I'm using Cyrus imapd 2.4.11 on FreeBSD. Please, advise. Thanks!

    -mi