Error after upgrade test

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Fri Jan 20 18:09:03 EST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:59:38AM -0500, Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> > We are testing the migration of Cyrus-IMAP from v2.3.15 on Solaris 9
> > to v2.4.12 on RHEL6.  After copying the data over to the new server
> > and starting cyrus-imapd, I see the following errors in the log
> > file:
> >
> > Jan 20 11:51:33 email-new master[7835]: setrlimit: Unable to set
> > file descriptors limit to -1: Operation not permitted Jan 20
> > 11:51:33 email-new master[7835]: retrying with 1024 (current max)
>
> We get this too.  I really think we should remove the setrlimit from
> Cyrus, since that call doesn't work.  Really, 1024 should be heaps -
> we have removed everything which needs multiple FDs of the same
> filetype now.

Even for master?  Doesn't it need new fds for each child?

It would make sense to leave it alone unless a config option was set
with the desired number of max_fds, though.

The fact is that RLIM_INFINITY does not work for RLIMIT_NOFILE in Linux.
You have two upper limits: the hard limit, and the max number of open files
per process (which can be raised at runtime), and setrlimit will EINVAL if
you breach either limit.

I am not sure if Solaris acts the same, but I would not be too surprised if
the behaviour of the two kernels is similar.

  Henrique Holschuh