_sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_canonuser_init for plugin: ldapdb

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Fri Jan 13 20:20:57 EST 2012

Hello,

I found out how to get rid of this annoying error messages, but not
indeed to remove the cause of it.

Typically, cyrus-imapd should just handle authentication as it is
requested to do by the configuration in imapd.conf. Regarding
sasl-authentication, it is the value of the option "sasl_pwcheck_method".

So as long as one doesn't configure cyrus-imapd to use the auxprop
plugin and the ldap backup, cyrus-imapd shouldn't try to use or even
load this plugin. Actually, I'm not the only one having this problem. I
noticed a posting from a user that claimed, that in his configuration he
got dozends of logs of canonuserfunc errors with _sasl_plugin_load
failing like me, but with the sql plugin in his case. And his solution
for this was to compile cyrus-imapd without the sql plugin.

So while I'm using prebaked packages from Ubuntu I applied the same
action by purging the libsasl2-modules-ldap package and voilà: The
errors disappeared!

IMHO this behaviour is not ok. There are other fails in the same league:

- deliver.db gets created altough I turned duplicatesuppression off
- I have to create an empty user_deny.db although I have no need for
this functionality
- tls_sessions.db is created, although no SSL processes are configured
(this is all offloaded to an POP3S/IMAPS proxy in front of our backends).

Who is responsible for this part of the code? I cannot understand how
this bogus behaviour could stay for so long in the production code of
cyrus-imapd.

Kind regards
Marten