migration and seen flag

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 6 15:53:44 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:40:10PM -0500, Ron Vachiyer wrote:
> To be clear, here is my scenario;
>
> I have 8000 user accounts, 40+Gigs of email on a 2.1.17 server.  They all seem to be using .seen files stored in /var/lib/imap/user/u/user.seen files.  The mailspool is in /var/spool/imap/u/user/user
>
> If I copy the contents of /var/lib/imap/user/[a-z]/* and /var/spool/imap/[a-z]/* to a new server, create accounts beforehand on the new server, then reconstruct -r -f each account, on a 2.3.16 installation this works.  I continue to read the .seen files as I am learning that this mecanism was still present in 2.3.x

Far out.  Bloody reconstruct.  Don't do that.  Copy /var/lib/imap
with the databases as well, and don't reconstruct.

> If I do this on a 2.4.13 server, however, the seen data is lost.

Probably because you're missing other stuff :(

> Perhaps I have to upgrade to 2.3 first and then to 2.4?

It should just find the seen data during the upgrade.  I'd
be interesting in knowing how it didn't... can you send me
an example .seen file from someone who doesn't mind it?

Thanks,

Bron.