migration and seen flag

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 6 13:18:49 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:58:40AM -0500, Ron Vachiyer wrote:
> I am beginning to see this.  Is there a mecanism to read from these .seen files to recover this data during a migration?  Because from what I am seeing, if I move a .seen file from the old server, the new server never reads from it and all my seen data is lost.

Oh, if you've already moved the mailbox and the seen file hasn't
been moved yet... yeah, that's messy :(

The main problem is that the seen file is indexed by UNIQUEID
rather than mailbox name, otherwise you could just copy-paste
the sequence out and run

TAG UID STORE <paste> +Flags \Seen

via IMAP after selecting each folder.

But I suspect you have hundreds of these folders?  You can get
the UNIQUEID from the cyrus.header file to script it.  You can
use cyr_dbtool from the new cyrus to dump the file and then
use perl or something to munge the data.  NOTE: you need to be
able to log in to imap as the user themselves, otherwise you'll
be setting the wrong seen flags.

Possible cheap-n-nasty workaround is to use an admin connection
and switch each mailbox to sharedseen, apply the flags, then
switch it back.

Bron.