Questions before upgrading vom 2.3 to 2.4

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 6 10:30:04 EST 2012

On Fri, January 6, 2012 3:05 pm, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>

> --On 6. Januar 2012 15:00:44 +0100 Eric Luyten <Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be>
> wrote:
>

>> To give you an idea : 73k users, 508k mailboxes, 4.5 TB of messages, 48M
>> messages. In an additional effort to grasp the dynamics of our central mail
>> system (when hosting over 10k users it pays to have regular reporting and
>> statistics produced) I discovered that no less than 66% of messages reside in
>> Inboxes. Which is extraordinary, given the fact that POP3 users
>> number less than 10% of the total. (We are a mixed IMAP/POP shop, for
>> historical reasons.) If more messages were to be found in sub-mailboxes,
>> metadata conversion load would have been more distributed in time, as
>> mailboxes are accessed.
>
> that's interesting. I guess we're pretty much in the same boat, but I don't
> have the numbers to prove it. Can you share the scripts you use for reporting?

Sebastian,

They're obviously very site specific but this is more or less what we do.

Two nested "for" loops, the first over our nine datastores, the second
over all users in that datastore (list obtained by `ls /cyr.../user`)
invoke 'mbexamine' on every Inbox and pipe its output through
'egrep '(Number of Messages|Examining user)'

This produces 26 files which are then concatenated, run through

#!/bin/sh
while read line1
do
   read line2
   echo $line1 $line2
done

and finally (apply cosmetics)

sed -e 's/^Examining //' -e 's/ Number of Messages: / Messages: /' -e 's/
Mailbox Size: / Size: /'

which, at the end, produces

user/aauser1... Messages: 171 Size: 22483962 bytes
user/aauser1/Out... Messages: 3 Size: 1279 bytes
user/aauser1/Spam... Messages: 0 Size: 0 bytes
user/aauser1/Trash... Messages: 0 Size: 0 bytes
user/aauser2... Messages: 391 Size: 16056164 bytes
user/aauser2/Spam... Messages: 0 Size: 0 bytes
<...>

This process runs every Saturday morning and takes between 7 and 8 hours.

grep "^user\/[a-z0-9]*\.\.\. " extracts the Inboxes.

Eric Luyten.