Questions around moving from 2.2.12 to 2.4.12

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Feb 29 07:11:55 EST 2012

Am 29.02.2012 12:37, schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 11:36 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> their passwords are stored encrypted (so
>> the imapsync-approach is problematic).
>
> Why?  Create a 'master account'.  Just add a pam_allow sufficient
> prior to the pam_passdb/pam_unix module and you can authenticate as
> anyone with any password;  or create a master password using
> pam_userlist.  At the same time the user's can authenticate with
> their own passwords. This lets you do simple authentication
> [saslauthd] for the duration of the migration.  If you want create a
> separate imap service that only listens on 127.0.0.1 to use this
> 'broken' authentication setup.

I thought of some master account, but didn't think of how to get that. I
will consider this, thanks!

It sounds like it is even more elegant than copying
/var/[lib,spool]/imap as it avoids rebuilding and converting stuff, correct?

>> My goal is to migrate things over to a newer server running gentoo
>> linux, the maintained version of cyrus-imapd there is 2.4.12 (the
>> older 2.2.13 from a separate gentoo-overlay didn't compile for
>> me). Moving the mysql-DB shouldn't be much of a problem, the
>> web-cyradm tool runs on gentoo already So my question is: how to
>> move things in the most stress-free way Could I simply copy over
>> /var/spool/imap etc, and start the newer version?
>
> Possibly, I'd rsync it, give it a try and see what happens.  I've
> moved from 2.3 -> 2.4 but haven't uses 2.2 in ages.

Could do, yes.

>> Do I have to somehow convert things? If yes, is it problematic?
>
> 2.3 -> 2.4 was pretty simple; worst part was the database upgrades
> [which took place automatically in-place]. They really grind the
> drives.

Fortunately the overall size isn't too big here.

Thanks, Stefan