Questions around moving from 2.2.12 to 2.4.12

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Feb 29 06:37:53 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 11:36 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hello, cyrus-imap-users (and -devs?),
> I subscribed to this list today because I am searching for some
> information around upgrading/migrating my cyrus-imap-server
> Unfortunately I waited very long, hopefully not too lo ...
> The old server runs Suse Linux 10.1 with these versions:
> # rpm -qa | grep cyrus
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.21-3
> cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.21-3
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-13
> I have a few hundred accounts within web-cyradm, which means their
> passwords are stored encrypted (so the imapsync-approach is problematic).

Why?  Create a 'master account'.  Just add a pam_allow sufficient prior
to the pam_passdb/pam_unix module and you can authenticate as anyone
with any password;  or create a master password using pam_userlist.  At
the same time the user's can authenticate with their own passwords.
This lets you do simple authentication [saslauthd] for the duration of
the migration.  If you want create a separate imap service that only
listens on 127.0.0.1 to use this 'broken' authentication setup.

> My goal is to migrate things over to a newer server running gentoo
> linux, the maintained version of cyrus-imapd there is 2.4.12 (the older
> 2.2.13 from a separate gentoo-overlay didn't compile for me).
> Moving the mysql-DB shouldn't be much of a problem, the web-cyradm tool
> runs on gentoo already
> So my question is: how to move things in the most stress-free way
> Could I simply copy over /var/spool/imap etc, and start the newer version?

Possibly, I'd rsync it, give it a try and see what happens.  I've moved
from 2.3 -> 2.4 but haven't uses 2.2 in ages.

> Do I have to somehow convert things? If yes, is it problematic?

2.3 -> 2.4 was pretty simple; worst part was the database upgrades
[which took place automatically in-place]. They really grind the drives.