lmtpd processes 'hanging'

gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 07:14:08 EST 2012

Hi there
        We are runnning cyrus 2.3.15 in a murder set up. We have recently
started having intermittent problems with mail delivery to the backends.

Every so often the lmtpd processes on each of the backends stop doing
anything and a mail queue begins to build up on out lmtp server. After
around five minutes or so everything bursts back into life with the lmtpd
processes on the backends and the queue on the lmtp server drains.

We can't figure out why this is happening.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated

During working hours we usually have around 3000 imapd processes per
backend and normally deliver a few hundred messages per minute.

We have three identical backend servers. One of them has become buisier in
terms of active users ie larger mail store, larger deliverdb. We use
berkley db for the cyrus databases.

regards,

Gavin Gray
Edinburgh University Information Services
Rm 2013 JCMB
Kings Buildings
Edinburgh
EH9 3JZ
UK
tel +44 (0)131 650 5987
email gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.