replication features for remote server locations

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 1 16:02:59 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 05:59:09PM +0100, Matteo Cazzador wrote:
> Hello' i've a question about cyrus replication system,
> i need to syncronize "real time"  3 imap servers  (mailbox and
> relative mail flags etc etc) in different geographic locations.
> Every server have the same users.
> Is it possible using replication system to do it?
> Is it possible to consulting mail over one of these servers (not
> concurrently by the same user) or the slave server are only
> backup (or disaster recovery) servers in replication solution?
> Thank's a lot.

Sorry we didn't respond to your earlier message.

This is possible, but it is unsafe to be fully multi-master - each
user should only be logging in at one of the locations.  And full
3 location multi-master is not well tested.  There are caveats.
We ran like that at FastMail for a while - but there were edge cases
where some of our "fixup" tools could confuse it and cause the
mailbox to fill up with multiple copies of the mailbox, or a delete
to get replicated the wrong way because a mailbox hadn't been created
yet.

In short - you need to know what you're doing and be careful right
now, but it is something we plan to support more robustly.

Bron.