cyrus and Outlook subfolder crawling

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Dec 13 05:59:55 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 10:43 +0100, Marcus Schopen wrote:
> I've got a problem with a Outlook 2010 client. The client is accessing a
> 10 GB cyrus imap account and crawling with high a frequency like crazy
> through each subfolders which fills the mail logfile and causes a
> noticeable higher load. This never stops unless the Outook client is
> closed. I'm not familiar with Outlook and to my mind this is not a cyrus
> problem, but does anybody know to say Outlook to stop this annoying
> behaviour.

Can you unsubscribe from subfolders?  If so, does doing so stop the mad
crawl?  Perhaps there is a folder, or more likely a message in a folder,
that the Outlook client doesn't like - and it is then restarting its
'sync' over and over.

Are Exchange extensions disabled?  I've seen them cause various kinds of
wierdness.

  Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced -> Options -> Add-In Manager ->
    Uncheck Exchange Extensions property.

    or

  Tools / Options / Other / Advanced Options / COM Add-Ins/ remove
anything that isnt essential, (we remove everything)

Those may not correspond to your version of Outlook.

Although it may make matters much worse [temporarily] you might want to
turn on telemetry for that user to see if there is a protocol error
somewhere.

But clients just walking folders shouldn't generally drive massive
syslog traffic;  perhaps you are logging mail at the DEBUG level?  Don't
do that, it is better to use telemetry logs selectively.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>