Reconstruct mailbox for a specific user.

anant at isac.gov.in anant at isac.gov.in
Tue Dec 11 23:31:01 EST 2012

----- Message from morgan at orst.edu ---------
     Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:50:59 -0800 (PST)
     From: Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>
  Subject: Re: Reconstruct mailbox for a specific user.
       To: anant at isac.gov.in
       Cc: Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>, info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, anant at isac.gov.in wrote:
>
>> ----- Message from dwhite at olp.net ---------
>>    Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:21:03 -0600
>>    From: Dan White <dwhite at olp.net>
>> Subject: Re: Reconstruct mailbox for a specific user.
>>      To: anant at isac.gov.in
>>      Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu

>>> You can run reconstruct and quota while cyrus-imapd is running.
>>>
>>> If reconstruct does not succeed, verify the mailbox(es) are listed within
>>> the output of 'ctl_mboxlist -d'. If not, you should add them via cyradm.
>>> reconstruct may also fail for a given mailbox if you are missing the
>>> cyrus.* files within its directory.
>>>
>>> You might wish to backup the contents of the directories in question before
>>> proceeding, in case you end up with missing flags or other data.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan White
>>
>> What I found is
>>
>> 1. /var/spool/imap/user/xxx exists
>> 2. /var/spool/imap/user has several directories
>> 3. All other directories except ABC are listed as folders under
>> user.xxx and are seen by IMAP clients.
>> 4. ABC directory has subfolders like
>> /var/spool/imap/user/xxx/ABC/1, 2 3 etc and each of these
>> subdirectories has cyrus.* files except ABC directory.  As you
>> said, as ABC directory does not have cyrus.* files, reconstruct has
>> failed to recognise it and hence its subdirectories.
>>
>> Should I run reconstruct -r -f user.xxx.ABC or cm user.xxx.ABC and
>> then run reconstruct -r -f user.xxx.ABC?
>
> Create a cyrus.header file in the ABC directory, set the ownership
> and permissions.  Something like this:
>
> touch cyrus.header
> chown cyrus:mail cyrus.header
> chmod 600 cyrus.header
>
> Then run:
>
> reconstruct -x -f user.xxx.ABC
>

> I should have asked at the beginning - are there any message files
> in (1., 2., 3., etc) in the ABC directory?
>
> 	Andy

NO. There are no message files in ABC directory.  There are only
directories in ABC directory and each such directory has message files
and also cyrus.* files.

I am thinking of another option, move all such directories under ABC
to one level higher, that is at user.xxx level and run reconstruct -r
-f user.xxx.

But, you still suggest, which is the best way.

Regards,
Anant.

----- End message from morgan at orst.edu -----

message.