Injecting a mail folder into a users inbox/reconstrcut error

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer at cgv.tugraz.at
Wed Dec 5 07:28:18 EST 2012

On 2012-12-05 12:06, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Lars,
>
> Lars Schimmer schrieb (05.12.2012 11:47 Uhr):
>
>> Aas I never needed to do it yet, I want to ask for the best way
>> to restore users email which got lost...
> best is to try before you need it! ;)
>
>> Situation: running cyrus on debian with users and mailboxes.
>> User deleted on accident a folder in his INBOX (and cyrus did
>> unlinked the files and removed the folder from disk already). I
>> do backup from the INBOX structures on disk every night (in a
>> basic simple way, see it as a snapshot of the mail disks of
>> cyrus).
>>
>> Now I need a good way to inject the "old" folder
>> user.xyz.INBOX.Folder into the live cyrus system. Is it easier
>> to create a new user and copy with imap client? Or just copy the
>> folder content into a new created folder on users inbox?
> Just copy back the file to the uses mailspool. Since mails are
> numbered in ascending order no file may be overwriten. Check for
> ownership and rights! Reconstruct the mailbox with "-rf".
> reconstruct should discover the now new mailboxes (if you restore
> whole folders), if not you may create them with cyradm. Sometime
> we create a new mailbox - like user.foo.restore - where we restore
> the file, so the user see what was restored and can move it to the
> place he wants it himself.

Thanks for all tips, but my reconstruct (2.4.12) tells me:
europa.cgv.tugraz.at> reconstruct -rf user.sef
usage: reconstruct [-r] mailbox

europa.cgv.tugraz.at> reconstruct -r -f user.sef
usage: reconstruct [-r] mailbox

A simple reconstruct -r user.sef does run flawless, but does not bring
back the folder.

Any hints?

> Marc

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
- --
TU Graz, Institut für ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer at cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723