export Usenet via IMAP

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 18:42:26 EDT 2012

I'm interested in this capability:

     Cyrus has the ability to export Usenet via IMAP and/or export
shared IMAP mailboxes via NNTP. This is made possible by a new NNTP
daemon which is included with Cyrus.

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.9/install-netnews.php

However, I have a working usenet and e-mail system which I don't want to
bork.  I'm familiar with leafnode and want to leave that in place for
the time being.  Also, I'm using a dovecot-postfix stack which Ubuntu
provides.

Firstly, I would like to add cyrus to the mix without upsetting those
other components.  Is that feasible?

Secondly, use cyrus to read a few select NNTP newsgroups from leafnode
on localhost.  This probably is not terribly hard.

Finally, I would use cyrus to export to IMAP (No POP3?).

Before I start using Cyrus, about how difficult is this?  Are there
alternatives?  I'm only missing the export component.

thanks,

Thufir