4096 file descriptors

Ron Vachiyer proutfoo at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:43:09 EDT 2012

Quick question about filedescriptors.  On Centos6, cyrus 2.3.16 seems to be able to open 4096 FDs ;

master[27121]: retrying with 4096 (current max)

ulimit -a says 1024;

open files                      (-n) 1024

I am looking to increase this, and have found some documentation saying to increse file-max in /proc.  However, file-max already has a much larger number;

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
1201105

The only way I have found so far is to add a ulimit -n 8192 in /etc/rc.d/init.d/cyrus-imapd

Is there a more generic/cleaner way to do this?

Thanks,

Ron