Cyrus 2.3.16 : pop3d processes performing reads on files in 'stage.' subdirs.

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 14 07:22:43 EDT 2012

On Tue, August 14, 2012 1:06 pm, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Eric Luyten wrote:
>
>> All,
>>

>> Using dtrace on Solaris 10 I was having a look at our Cyrus server
>> I/O activity and I cannot explain myself why pop3d processes carry
>> out read operations on files in the 'stage.' subdirectories.
>
> Is it reading them by name, or just the same inode?

There are no long lived links in our 'stage.' subdirs.

% !!
ls -l /cyr[1-9]/stage./*
No match
%

We do re-use pop3 and imap server processes, though.
(-U 10 parameter on pop3d and imapd entries in /etc/cyrus.conf)

We also observe writes to the 'stage.' subdirs by imapd processes
but this is to be expected, isn't it ?
It's the pop3 processes behaviour which is puzzling me.

Eric Luyten, Computing Centre VUB/ULB.