In preparation of Cyrus IMAP 2.5: autoconf and automake

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sat Apr 28 12:15:22 EDT 2012

Hello there,

With many thanks to Дилян Палаузов <dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org>, we would like
to let you know about one particular feature now definitely included for a
pending Cyrus IMAP 2.5 release.

As a feature for the upcoming 2.5 release of Cyrus IMAP, though the exact
schedule is yet unknown, we have merged into master the grand overhaul to
using autoconf / automake.

This marks a first significant milestone closing in on actually producing a
2.5 series release, but, and this is very important:

  NOT without your help.

We would like those of you that have a need to or experience with building
Cyrus IMAP from source to let us know whether the autoconf and automake (or,
as I like to call it, "autofu") Works For You(TM).

To this end, we encourage you to clone the GIT repository master branch and
attempt a build, or, alternatively, download the following snapshot release:

  http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/snapshot/cyrus-imapd-2.5-snapshot-
autoconf-and-automake.tar.gz

The canonical build process we think applies, generally speaking, is:

  $ autoreconf -v
  $ ./configure [your-options]
  $ make

This process currently requires autoconf >= 2.67.

We would appreciate you let us know whether or not such process works for you,
preferrably though Bugzilla (please use product 'Cyrus IMAP' and component
'Distribution').

Thank you, in advance,

On behalf of the Cyrus team,

Kind regards,