what does cyrus support through ldap?

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Tue Apr 24 15:42:54 EDT 2012

On 04/24/2012 02:00 AM, Martin Kraus wrote:
> Hi. I hoped that cyrus would be managable through ldap but that doesn't
> seem to be the case. Is the cyrus ldap support strictly for authentication?
> It's just that sasl can do that as well.
>
> I'd like to know if there are other options to managing mailboxes besides
> calling perl scripts. I need to come up with some kind of a graphical
> interface to manage mailboxes and I'm looking for the available options to
> interface with cyrus.
>
> thanks
> Martin

We used to have a locally developed perl CGI gui that managed Cyrus
accounts and kept them synchronized with the info in our OpenLDAP server
automatically, but we wanted to reduce the amount of locally developed
code we were maintaining.

Now we use Webmin to create and manage Cyrus mailboxes, quotas, and so
on. Saslauthd authenticates against LDAP (recently migrated to Active
Directory). Postfix uses the AD server to distribute mail to groups.
Users manage their sieve scripts via a Roundcube plugin.

We have to manually synchronize Cyrus mailboxes with AD accounts when we
create or delete users, but otherwise all the pieces fit together very well.

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator