cyrus-master dies/exits on startup

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 19 11:06:05 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 03:08:16PM +0200, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
> On my murder frontends sometimes (~1 out of 10) cyrus-master dies/exits(?!)
> right after forking the initial set of processes defined in cyrus.conf.

I have a little theory.

> cyrus-master is started with "-d -x /var/agentx/master -P 30"

confirmed.  It's snmp.

> Has somebody else seen this behavior already or should I try to get more
> details? As a first step I allowed coredumps.

Yes, we did a bunch of debugging for someone else who was having
master disappear a while back, and tracked it down to snmp.

Hmm... doesn't appear to have a bug against it.  Must have just
been discussion on the mailing list.

But yeah, blame snmp.  I don't have a clue what causes it, sorry,
but snmp does evil stuff with threads and signals and timers and
stuff - it's possible that it's just a timing issue.  If it fires
its first signal before the handler is set up - boom.

Bron.