lmtp timeout

Davy HUBERT davy.hubert at univ-montp3.fr
Fri Sep 16 04:24:43 EDT 2011

Hello,

We're experiencing problems on our mail server since we upgraded it. Our
former server ran Cyrus 2.2 on a RedHat 3 box. An instance of Exim was
used to receive mails and transmit them to the lmtp process of cyrus.
Everything worked fine with this configuration. We changed our server
and we installed Cyrus 2.3.3 on RedHat 5 box we kept configuration files
from the old server.
Since that, lmtp service is frequently out and exim can't contact it
anymore.
In our old configuration there was this line in cyrus.conf :
lmtpunix    cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
We changed it to :
lmtp        cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="127.0.0.1:2003" prefork=1

By using network based connections the server work better but the
problem still remains.

It seems to a load problem but i don't know how to figure it out...

Best regards,

--
Davy HUBERT
DSI - Unité Systèmes