Migration using imapsync

Mogens Melander mogens at fumlersoft.dk
Thu Sep 15 09:49:39 EDT 2011

On Thu, September 15, 2011 14:43, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 14:10 +0200, Mogens Melander wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I realize that this is probably not a Cyrus problem, but the imapsync
>> community don't strike me as responsive. And you guys know everything :)
>>
>> I'm trying to move from an old uw-imap to Cyrus 2.4.8 using imapsync 1.456.
>>
>> So far my main problem has been the lack off useful documentation on
>> imapsync's part. Specially on the --regextrans2 parameter. I managed
>> to figure that one out by 2 days of Googling and trial-error attempts.
>>
>> My remaining problem is, how to create parent folders for sub folders.
>>
>> The uw-imap folder structure is flat (a list of files) so i would like
>> to get related stuff into a tree structure using subfolders.
>>
>> I got a bunch of --regextrans2
>>
>> 	--regextrans2 's#^BURAPA$#Biker Stuff/BURAPA#' \
>> 	--regextrans2 's#^BikeWeek$#Biker Stuff/BikeWeek#' \
>> 	--regextrans2 's#^Biker Events$#Biker Stuff/Biker Events#' \
>> 	--regextrans2 's#^Hard Rock$#Biker Stuff/Hard Rock#' \
>> 	--regextrans2 's#^John Daytona$#Biker Stuff/John Daytona#' \
>>
>> Resulting in correct created subfolders
>>
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff/BURAPA at example.com (\HasNoChildren)
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff/BikeWeek at example.com (\HasNoChildren)
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff/Biker Events at example.com (\HasNoChildren)
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff/Hard Rock at example.com (\HasNoChildren)
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff/John Daytona at example.com (\HasNoChildren)
>>
>> Using Squirrel Mail as client, i would like to collapse those
>> folders, to only show "Biker Stuff (unread/total)".
>>
>> For this to work, i need the parent folder
>>
>> 	user/testuser/Biker Stuff at example.com (\HasChildren)
>>
>> To be created. I can do that manually in cyradm or Squirrel Mail, but there's
>> too many parent folders needed for each user to do it by hand.
>>
>> Any ideas as to how this can be done. Either by imapsync or some clever script?
> ----
> sounds like you're trying to perform surgery with a butter knife instead
> of a scalpel.

Maybe so, but i would think the imapsync --regextrans2 option was ment
for this kind of scenario.

> Generally, imapsync would do a bulk imap to imap transfer and then users
> folder structure would remain unchanged (and hopefully the seen.db would
> also remain unchanged).

Flags, state and Dates remain unchanged. No problem there.

> Is there some blocker ? ie characters used in folder names that are not
> permitted in cyrus? If so, why not use sed to change them to something
> legal. Should only require a little testing.

Nope. Even something like this works. Translates to 'Humlebæk Auto' :)

	--regextrans2 's#^Humleb&AMMApg-k Auto$#Arbejde/Humleb&AOY-k Auto#

All is good, except for the missing intermediate levels in the structure.

Suggestions to other cool imap migration tools, up to the task, are also welcome ;^)

--
Later

Mogens Melander

believed to be clean.