cpu and cyrus

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 1 09:44:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 16:34 -0400, John Madden wrote:
> >> So annoying that the stable release of debian isn't supported
> >> anymore. It seems like if you wait so long to release the stable
> >> version that it isn't supported anymore, it sort of defeats the
> >> purpose.
> >
> > Debian have been staying at 2.2 rather than moving up to 2.3 through
> > two stable releases now.  There is a limit to how long you can hold
> > on to the past.  Cyrus 2.3.0 was released in December 2005.
>
> There's a lesson here that I learned from the OpenLDAP folks that is
> re-enforced with Cyrus (and many other packages): You can't rely on your
> OS distributor beyond a certain scale.  RHEL's OpenLDAP packages are
> fine a thousand objects, no good at all for a million.  Some of the
> problems are too complex: imagine Debian delivering a functioning Murder
> out of the box or Red Hat combining the right version of BerkeleyDB with
> the right version of OpenLDAP.  No thanks.
>
> It's well worth your time to maintain your own compiles and even
> packages of Cyrus because the package maintainers can't keep up.
----
indeed though interestingly enough, OpenLDAP on Ubuntu is current.

Once I saw that ubuntu was still featuring cyrus 2.2.13, I didn't even
bother.

For Ubuntu LTS, grab source for cyrus and compile - worked great. Only
had to get a reasonably suitable sysv script to start/stop.

Those using CentOS/Scientific Linux/RHEL should probably just rebuild
Simon's excellent SRC rpms for cyrus though... patched for 'autocreate'
and simple.

Craig

believed to be clean.