Cyrus-imap configuration issue

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Oct 19 05:57:32 EDT 2011

Hi,

you didn't tell which version of cyrus you are using.
But since 2.3.9 the default for allowplaintext set to 0,
to enforce encryptet passwords.

You have to use ssl or tls, use encrypted mechs e.g.
digest-md5 or change allowplaintext to 1.

Quoting Rajeshwar Bharathi <rajeshwarbharathi at gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
> I am trying to setup a cyrus imap server. I am using an 32-bit AWS AMI on
> EC2.
>
> I used yum to insatll cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd
> The installation went thru fine and I am able to create users using
> saslpasswd2
> when I start cyrus-imapd server it comes up fine
> /etc/init.d/cyrus-imapd start
>

> I have the following configuration files.
> /etc/imapd.conf
> /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
> /etc/sysconfig/sendmail.conf
> /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
>
> I have the following configurations in /etc/imapd.conf
>
> configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> admins: cyrus  root
> sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
> sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> hashimapspool: true
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> # uncomment this if you're operating in a DSCP environment (RFC-4594)
> # qosmarking: af13
>
> when I try to test I get the following errors
> test1>>>
> imtest -m login -p imap localhost
> Authentication failed:gebneric error
>
> test2>>>>
>
> cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost --auth plain
>
> Password:
> IMAP Password:
> Login failed: authentication failure at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
> line 118
> cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as cyrus
>
> Please let me know what config problems i have and how to proceed further.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen