Thunderbird's IMAP COMPRESS and Cyrus-IMAP 2.4.11

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 14 09:07:15 EDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 08:49 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> (CC: info-cyrus - hopefully people can read the problem in my response
> at least!)
>
> The easiest fix will be:
>
> suppress_capabilities: COMPRESS=DEFLATE
>
> in your imapd.conf.
>
> I think you can change it in Thunderbird as well, in the advanced config:
>
> mail.server.default.use_compress_deflate
>
> I'd be interested in more detail about it not working.  Given that I
> wrote both ends (pretty much - Ken did the initial implementation at the
> Cyrus end, but I did work on it too) and I use it with Thunderbird all
> the time, I do care about it working!

We've had a ton of reports about it here, as well.  We generally just
have folks disable compression in Thunderbird.  I could re-enable
compression and wait until I find another message that breaks it.  The
problem was that I couldn't come up with a good method for diagnosing
this.  If you can offer me some assistance, that would be great.

Thanks!

Dave