Frontend cannot create sub-level mailbox

Roberto Bartali bartali at unisi.it
Thu Oct 13 06:53:48 EDT 2011

Hi everyone
I'm trying to implementing a Cyrus Murder for my University but I'm
encountering some problems.
I have two frontends with postfix, one is the mupdate master and the
other is the mupdate slave.
User authenticate to the frontend through an external ldap.
They works with three backends.

All seems okay, i can authenticate and read may mailbox through the
frontend using my client (Mozilla Thunderbird 7) but when i create a new
sub-level mailbox i get this error in frontend imapd.log:
smtp01 imaps[17946]: IOERROR: Mailbox name too long (user.testing2.prova)

I noticed that it's not possibile to create the Trash mailbox too:
smtp01 imaps[17951]: IOERROR: Mailbox name too long (user.testing2.Trash)

If I bypass the frontend and connect directly to the backend the problem
doesn't exists.
It seems an authentication problem between frontend and backend, but all
the test I performed (imtest, lmtptest, ctl_mboxlist) are Ok.

Here are my conf files:

Backend imapd.conf:

configdirectory: /var/cyrus
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus
admins: cyrus
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd auxprop
sasl_mech_list: plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
proxyservers: murder
allowplaintext: yes

mupdate_server: smtp01
mupdate_port: 2004
mupdate_authname: backend03
mupdate_username: backend03
mupdate_password: password

proxy_authname: murder
proxy_password: murder

sasl_minimum_layer: 0

tls_cert_file: /var/cyrus/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/cyrus/server.pem

Backend cyrus.conf

START {
#  auth         cmd="/usr/local/bin/ksrvtgt -l 3600 imap @SHORTHOST@
ANDREW.CMU.EDU /imap/conf/srvtab"

  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
  mupdatepush   cmd="ctl_mboxlist -m"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
 # pop3         cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0
 # pop3s                cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
 # kpop          cmd="pop3d -k" listen="kpop" prefork=0
 # sieve                cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

  # fud
  fud           cmd="fud" listen="fud" prefork=1 proto="udp"
  notifyd       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/cyrus/socket/notifyd"
proto="udp" prefork=1

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
  lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=2
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/cyrus/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

  # ptloading
#  ptloader     cmd="ptloader" listen="/var/cyrus/ptclient/sock" prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=5

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
  delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400

#  reauth       cmd="/usr/local/bin/ksrvtgt -l 3600 imap @SHORTHOST@
ANDREW.CMU.EDU /imap/conf/srvtab"  period=30

Frontend imapd.conf

configdirectory: /cyrus/conf
partition-default: /tmp

admins: backend01 backend02 backend03

lmtpsocket: /cyrus/conf/socket/lmtp

allowplaintext: yes
tls_cert_file: /cyrus/server.pem
tls_key_file: /cyrus/server.pem

proxy_authname: murder
proxy_password: murder
allowwapop: no
allowallsubscribe: yes
allowanonymouslogin: no

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd auxprop
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN login DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
Frontend cyrus.conf

START {
#  auth         cmd="/usr/local/bin/ksrvtgt -l 3600 imap @SHORTHOST@
ANDREW.CMU.EDU /cyrus/conf/sr$

  mboxlist      cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # mupdate database service - must prefork atleast 1
  mupdate       cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/mupdate -m" listen=2004 prefork=1

  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="proxyd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps         cmd="proxyd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
#  pop3         cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0
#  pop3s                cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
#  kpop          cmd="pop3d -k" listen="kpop" prefork=0
#  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

  # fud
  fud           cmd="fud" listen="fud" prefork=1 proto="udp"

  # relay mail correctly
  lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpproxyd" listen="/usr/cyrus/bin/lmtpproxy" prefork=1

  # ptloading
#  ptloader      cmd="ptloader" listen="/cyrus/conf/ptclient/ptsock"
prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=5

#  reauth       cmd="/usr/local/bin/ksrvtgt -l 3600 imap @SHORTHOST@
ANDREW.CMU.EDU /cyrus/conf/sr$
}

Someone can help me?
Any help will be very very appreciated!!!!
Many thanks in advance

Roberto

--
*Roberto Bartali*
Servizio reti, sistemi e sicurezza informatica