Huge load after update from 2.3.16 to 2.4.12

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Thu Nov 24 04:37:38 EST 2011

On Wed, November 23, 2011 10:40 pm, plate at bibliothek.uni-kassel.de wrote:
> [...]
>

>> When performing an upgrade from earlier than 2.4.3, all messages are
>> reparsed, and your cache files are re-generated, when a mailbox is first
>> opened. You may be able to increase you syslogging levels to get a better
>> view into what's going on:
> [...]
>

> Thanx,
>

> four weeks ago I made a dump and tried a new installation on a test machine,
> but I had no problems.

Michael,

You probably tested the system's integrity and functionality, and all appeared
fine. What you probably did not generate was the equivalent of a realistic
production load (POP + IMAP + LMTP).
We found ourselves in a similar situation two years ago (with eternal thanks
to Simon Matter who helped us *enormously* with a suggestion written on this
mailing list).

Regards,
Eric Luyten (now running 2.3 for +70k users with 50M messages, wondering
             what server and I/O load we will observe when upgrading to 2.4)