Cyrus-imap configuration issue

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Nov 8 17:43:35 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 12:09 -0600, Dan White wrote:
> On 08/11/11 22:44 +0530, Rajeshwar Bharathi wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have configured cyrus as specified above
> >
> >here is my latest config files
> >------
> >FILE NAME: /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
> >------
> >pwcheck_method: auxprop
> >auxprop_plugin: sasldb
> >------
> >FILE NAME: vi /etc/imapd.conf
> >------
> >configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
> >partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> >admins: cyrus
> >sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
> >sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> >hashimapspool: true
> >#sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> >sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> >tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> >tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> >tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> ># uncomment this if you're operating in a DSCP environment (RFC-4594)
> ># qosmarking: af13
> >#new entries
> >allowplaintext:yes
> >sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
> >sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
> >
> >Errors:
> >[root at aws1234]# cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost --auth plain
> >Password:
> >IMAP Password:
> >              Login failed: authentication failure at
> >/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 120
> >cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as cyrus
> Make sure you have the sasl plain shared library installed. It might be
> installed from a separate OS package. Use pluginviewer (or
> saslpluginviewer) to view the installed plugins.

On SuSE / openSUSE you need both -
  cyrus-sasl-plain
  cyrus-sasl-saslauthd

In CentOS saslauthd is provided by the base cyrus-sasl package but you
still need cyrus-sasl-plain.

Also you can test saslauthd using the testsaslauthd command.

# /usr/sbin/testsaslauthd -u adam -p fred123 -s imap
0: NO "authentication failed"

Make sure that works [if you are using saslauthd] before trying IMAP
authentication.