[OT] offline mail user and syncing

Andy Bennett andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org
Tue May 10 12:32:41 EDT 2011

Hi,

>> How about moving a UUCP spool on the USB stick? ;-)
>>
>> You could use something like rsync on "incoming" and "outgoing" folder.
>> Is it just for eMail? What format are the messages in?
>
> hi andy,
>
> the user is running windows, and has a preference for using lookout. i
> suppose that i could ask that he run thunderbird instead -- lookout uses
> a single file pst, so concurrency is really difficult unless the pst
> file is not the main/default one. at least thunderbird uses file based
> message store, but alas, windblows doesn't run rsync (iirc).
>
> maybe a secondary pst is the solution ... user would have drag all the
> contents from secondary pst to primary pst. whatta drag!

Interesting!
What happens when the proxy delivers the stick to the "place with The
Internet"?
I initially assumed that this system was already somehow in place, but
perhaps it is not? Is it just currently used for non-eMail things?

Is the intention to copy the pst, or mail folders or whatever onto the
USB stick and then open up another copy of Thunderbird on the other end
and cause all the sending to happen?

In my copy of Thunderbird I can right click on "Local Folders" and I get
an options screen that allows my to specify the "Local directory".
It strikes me that you could copy this folder to the USB stick or just
make it live entirely on the USB stick.

In the former case you'd have to ensure that Thunderbird was closed
before you moved / copied the folder and in the latter case you'd have
to ensure that you didn't open Thunderbird whilst the USB stick was out
on its travels.

To do the copy you could just use the inbuilt copying tools. Either a
batch file with xcopy or some such or just using the UI to test it.

Regards,
@ndy

andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org
http://www.ashurst.eu.org/