Upgrading from 2.3 to til 2.4

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at hio.no
Tue May 10 09:51:05 EDT 2011

Recently I upgraded a moderately busy Cyrus imap from 2.3.x to 2.4.7

I used one of the excellent rpms by Simon Matter and everything went
smoothly until the upgrade went live: New mail arrived at once and this
triggered an index upgrade, the log contains lines like "Index upgrade: user.xyz (10 -> 12)"

Upgrading the index takes some time, in the meantime sendmail delivers
more mail, the load soars as index upgrades are run in parallell and
sendmail eventually effectively stops processing mail. Later as a number
of index upgrades finishes the load drops, sendmail revives and the whole
cycle restarts.

Running a reconstruct on user.% before allowing in new mail, after the
upgrade, seems to be a better and more orderly option than allowing
sendmail to do the job?

BTW: What happened to the rpms published by Simon Matter? Nothing to be
found at http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/ recently.

-psi