updating cyrus databases

Maria Mckinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Mar 24 23:33:25 EDT 2011

On 3/23/11 12:56 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to update my databases from 4.2 to 4.7. Unfortunately the guide I
>
> I see, you mean updating BerkeleyDB.
>
>> used last time to update my database has disappeared. All of the stuff I
>> find currently on the web says just use cvt_cyrusdb to update your
>> database. Which seems pretty straight-forward when I look at the man
>> page, but then when I look at my cyrus directory, I get nervous. Which
>> files exactly, am I suppose to update? There are so many with db at the
>> end, do I do them all?
>>
>> ella:~# ls /var/cyrus/data/
>> annotations.db  db.backup1  deliver.db  mailboxes.db   msg   quota
>> tls_sessions.db
>> db              db.backup2  log         mailboxes.db~  proc  socket  user
>> ella:~# ls /var/cyrus/data/db
>> __db.001  __db.002  __db.003  __db.004  __db.005  log.0000000048
>> skipstamp
>>
>> So, everything with a db in it? And what exactly is<old-fileformat>
>> and<new-fileformat>? Is that the DBEngine from
>> lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active? So, BerkeleyDB4.2 and  BerkeleyDB4.7?
>>
>> And once I'm done, I move the old ones out, rename the new ones to the
>> old names, get rid of lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active, and reconfigure
>> the package?
>>
>> If someone has a link to a guide that has more info than the ones I have
>> found so far, that may be the easiest thing.
>
> I'm not sure you can upgrade BDB using cvt_cyrusdb directly. I think you
> can only do it by exporting to a neutral formal like skiplist, then
> updating BDB, and the converting the db's back to BDB. Another way should
> be to use the BDB upgrade tools for this.
>
> However, why don't you just get rid of BDB so you don't have to care about
> it in future? Any reason you can't convert to skiplist and leave BDB
> behind? If you're running a recent Cyrus version then that's strongly
> recommended and makes life much easier.
>
> Simon

Sorry, took a while to get back to this. I'm not sure why you think I am
not using skiplist. This file seems to say I am.

ella:~# cat /usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active
ANNOTATION skiplist
DBENGINE BerkeleyDB4.2
DUPLICATE skiplist
MBOX skiplist
PTS berkeley
QUOTA quotalegacy
SEEN skiplist
SUBS flat
TLS berkeley-nosync

Also, the directions for upgrading a database, found here:

http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.2.13p1/install-upgrade.php

under:

Upgrading from 2.1.x or earlier
General information (ALL SITES)

give instructions for using the cvt_cyrusdb program to convert the
databases to skiplist:

/usr/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/imap/mailboxes.db berkeley
/var/imap/mailboxes.db.new skiplist
mv /var/imap/mailboxes.db.new /var/imap/mailboxes.db

and the files appear to look exactly the same when you are done as when
you start.

 From the instructions on that page, it looks like I am suppose to use
the command on everything with a db at the end, and then on the seen
state database. I'm just not sure about the other stuff like __db.001 or
the sub files in the same directory as the seen file. Furthermore, these
instructions are for an earlier cyrus version then I have (2.1.x vs.
2.2.13), so I'm not even sure this is what I am suppose to be doing.

thanks,
maria