Expiry limit for the duplicate delivery database

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 8 15:28:20 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 04:30:45PM +0100, Eric Luyten wrote:
> On Tue, March 8, 2011 4:24 pm, Gary Mills wrote:
> > We are running cyrus-imapd-2.3.8 with this entry in /etc/cyrus.conf:
> >
> > delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400
> >
> > I believe this is the default setting.  Is there any reason to keep
> > message IDs around for three days?  I'm wondering if reducing it to one day
> > will improve performance for local deliveries simply by making the database
> > smaller.  I assume that it would function equally well in detecting mail loops
> > with a one-day expiry.
>
> Correct, but bear in mind the delivery db is also used for limiting the
> number of vacation replies per time unit per mail address, so you'll be
> sending out quite a bit more of those, I assume.

That might be a problem.  My understanding is that duplicate
suppression records the message ID and recipient.  Sieve vacation must
record the sender and a time interval of some sort.  These are
different.  Does `cyr_expire' treat them both the same?  We have
people now who set vacation responder intervals longer than three
days.  Is that not working?